An American version of the English IPA style that reflects high alpha American hops and the American style. Originated with the recent Craft Beer revolution when American brewers attempted to duplicate the English styles with US ingredients.
Smooth, medium body with medium to high hop flavor. Hops may be citrusy, floral, resinous, piny or fruity. Low to med malt flavor. Med gold to reddish color. Clear. Med to Med-high carbonation. An American version of the English IPA style that uses American ingredients and has an American style to it. Intense hoppy, citrusy, floral - typical of American hops variety used.
- Color Range: 6.0-15.0 SRM
- Original Gravity Range: 1.056-1.075 SG
- Final Gravity Range: 1.010-1.018 SG
- Bitterness Range: 40.0-65.0 IBU
- Alcohol by Volume Range: 5.5-7.5 %
- Carbonation Range: 2.2-2.7 vols
- BJCP Style Number: 14 B
- American pale ale malt (well modified), American hops and yeast
- Yeast may give a clean or slightly fruity palate
- Often a single infusion mash is used
- Water character may vary
- Stone IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin', Anchor Liberty Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Harpoon IPA, Avery IPA, Founder's Centennial IPA