Koelsch is a clean very light beer brewed by a small number of breweries around Cologne.
Koelsch is protected by the Koelsch convention, which limits its production to 20 or so breweries around Cologne, Germany.
Light to medium body. Soft palate that is clean, friuty and acidic. Low hop flavor and aroma. Pale to light gold in color. Low sulfur aroma. No diactyl. Medium carbonation. Style exclusive to Cologne (Koln) Germany. Soft, friuty flavor. Very drinkable. Brewed at ale temperature and then cold lagered.
- Color Range: 3.5-5.0 SRM
- Original Gravity Range: 1.044-1.050 SG
- Final Gravity Range: 1.007-1.011 SG
- Bitterness Range: 20.0-30.0 IBU
- Alcohol by Volume Range: 4.4-5.2 %
- Carbonation Range: 2.4-2.8 vols
- BJCP Style Number: 6 C
- German Pilsner malt
- European noble or Saaz hops
- Up to 15% wheat to enhance head retention and complexity
- Hellers, Gilden, Garde, Sester, Long Trail Kolsch, Kueppers