Dortmunder Export is a strong lager brewed in Dortmunder Germany. Halfway in body between a pilsner and a Munich style lager. Sweeter than a pilsner but drier than the malty Munich style.
Originally brewed by Dortmunder Union in 1783, this pilsner became very popular with industrial workers making Dortmunder Union one of the largest breweries in Germany. Two beers were originally produced (a lager and the export) but the weaker version was eventually dropped. Popularity declined as Dortmunder became less industrial.
Smooth, balanced, with medium hops and malt flavors. Balanced. No diacetyl or ester flavors. Moderate noble hops aroma. Light to deep gold color. Famous strong lager from Dortmunder, Germany.
- Color Range: 4.0-6.0 SRM
- Original Gravity Range: 1.048-1.056 SG
- Final Gravity Range: 1.010-1.015 SG
- Bitterness Range: 23.0-30.0 IBU
- Alcohol by Volume Range: 4.8-6.0 %
- Carbonation Range: 2.4-2.7 vols
- BJCP Style Number: 1 E
- Noble hops
- Pilsner malt and yeast
- Hard water with calcium carbonate and sulfate
- Dortmunder Kronen, DAB Export, Dortmunder Union Export, Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, Saratoga Lager, Dominion Lager